WHAT ARE COOKIES?
Cookies are text files that the web server sends to the user's browser which in turn stores them on the hard drive of the site visitor. Cookies contain information that can be read later by the web server, during the same visit (session cookies) or after days, months or years (persistent cookies).
CATEGORIES OF COOKIES
Guarantor for the protection of personal data has identified two macro-categories of cookies: "technical" cookies and "profiling" cookies, distinguished on the basis of their characteristics and purpose of use.
Technical cookies are those used for the sole purpose of "carrying out the transmission of a communication over an electronic communications network, or as strictly necessary for the provider of an information society service explicitly requested by the subscriber or user to provide this service "(see art. 122, paragraph 1, of the Code).
They are not used for other purposes and are normally installed directly by the owner or manager of the website. They can be divided into:
- Navigation or session cookies, which guarantee the normal navigation and use of the website (allowing, for example, to make a purchase or authenticate to access restricted areas);
- Analytics cookies, similar to technical cookies when used directly by the site manager to collect information, in aggregate form, on the number of users and how they visit the site;
- Functionality cookies, which allow the user to browse according to a series of selected criteria (for example, the language, the products selected for purchase) in order to improve the service provided.
The prior consent of users is not required for the installation of these cookies.
I profiling cookies are designed to create user profiles and are used in order to send advertising messages in line with the preferences expressed by the user while surfing the net. Due to the particular invasiveness that such devices may have in the private sphere of users, European and Italian legislation provides that the user must be adequately informed on the use of the same and thus express their valid consent.
THIRD PARTY COOKIES
By visiting a website it is possible to receive cookies both from the visited site (proprietary cookies), and from sites managed by other organizations (third-party cookies) such as, for example, the social plugins for Facebook, Twitter, Google+, LinkedIn etc., used generally for sharing content on social networks.
The presence of these plugins involves the transmission of cookies to and from all sites managed by third parties. The management of the information collected by third parties is governed by the relevant information to which reference is made. To ensure greater transparency and convenience, the web addresses of the various information and methods for managing cookies are shown below.
- Google Analytics. This site uses the web traffic analysis service Google Analytics which uses "cookies" to collect, anonymously, information on the behavior of use of the site in order to perform statistical analysis. For more information: https://www.google.it/policies/privacy/partners/
The user can independently manage the action of Google Analytics by installing the opt-out component provided by Google in his browser: https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout
DURATION OF COOKIES
Cookies have a duration established by the expiration date set in the individual cookie (persistent cookies) or can expire when the browser is closed (temporary or session cookies).
Cookies can be:
- Temporary or session: they are used to store temporary information, allow you to link the actions performed during a specific session and are removed from the computer when the browser is closed;
- Persistent: they are used to store information, such as the login name and password, so as to avoid the user having to type them again each time they visit a specific site. These remain stored on the computer even after closing the browser.
MANAGEMENT OF COOKIES
The user has the right not to accept the storage of cookies on his navigation device. Disabling technical cookies could compromise some features of the site.
MANAGEMENT OF COOKIES THROUGH BROWSER SETTINGS
- Firefox: https://support.mozilla.org/it/kb/Attivare%20e%20disattivare%20i%20cookie
- Chrome: https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95647?hl=it
- Internet Explorer: http://windows.microsoft.com/it-it/windows7/how-to-manage-cookies-in-internet-explorer-9
- Opera: http://help.opera.com/Windows/10.00/it/cookies.html
- Safari: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1677?viewlocale=it_IT